Home / Countries / Australia / Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)


This visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years.


You might be able to get this visa if:

  • you have been sponsored by an approved business
  • you have the required skills to fill a position nominated by an approved business.

About this visa

The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years.

You must be sponsored by an approved business. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work.

You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application.

More information is available from the booklet Temporary Work (Skilled) (subclass 457) visa (649KB PDF).

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to:

  • work in Australia for up to four years
  • bring  members of your family unit to work or study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia as often as you want.

Before you apply

This is a sponsored visa. Before you can apply for the visa, your employer must:

  • become an approved sponsor
  • nominate you for a position.

You can apply for this visa at the same time your employer lodges their applications to sponsor and nominate you.

Legislative Instruments

To maintain flexibility in the Subclass 457 visa program, certain aspects of the program are subject to change from time to time. The aspects of the program that might change are contained in what is known as a legislative instrument.

See: Subclass 457 visa Legislative Instruments

No further stay

You cannot apply for this visa if you already hold another visa that has a ‘No further stay’ condition.

Contact us if you are not sure whether your current visa conditions prevent you from applying for a further visa while you are in Australia.

Your passport

You must have a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of our offices.

You can use Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details (89KB PDF).

You must meet certain health requirements. The results are usually valid for 12 months. Do not arrange a health examination until we ask you to.

This also applies to all the members of your family unit included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

This information explains what a skilled worker needs to do to apply for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457).

Visa Applicants:

About Ramy Nada

Check Also

Employer Sponsorship – Recent Developments Feb 2017

Employer sponsorship has been controversial in recent times and the Department of Immigration continues to …

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.